Headhouse Square

Headhouse Square

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Balancing Facebook and Clients

Facebook is an amazing tool that every real estate professional should be using on a daily basis. It's a great way to stay in touch, meet new people and promote one's self and brand. Many agents count on Facebook for a good portion of their annual closed deals, yet what I find challenging is how to balance the Facebook-Client tightrope?

For example, if a current FB friend asks me to list their house, I must be cautious on how I post the listing on FB, no? I mean, FB is a great forum to market the listing, but it also leads to potential negative comments which may offend my client (since he/she may be part of my network). Communication with the client and an understanding of how to effectively use FB for the listing is a must!

Another concern I have is how potential clients will perceive my random posts. The beauty of FB is the ability to interact personally with each other, yet some posts and/or "likes" may offend some potential clients or discredit me. I know some agents establish separate FB identities, but I feel that defeats the general idea of using FB to market yourself. As of now, I have to be conscientious to maintain the proper balance between professionalism while demonstrating a personality. What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. Any laws or legal ramifications on how you post on Facebook with respect to real estate?
    HG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I imagine licensing law comes in to play if confidential information is revealed via a forum such as facebook. And if that resulted in something serious, I imagine a Consumer Protection law may come in question. There is also the Realtor Code of Ethics that could be violated. Agents have to think before postingl

    ReplyDelete